It’s essential to involve young people in planning programs and pathways that will serve them. The Youth Voice Project is composed of youth leaders who reach out to opportunity youth and advise the OYC. As a team, these Peer Leaders provide research and outreach strategies to find data that may help the OYC engage youth in Boston.
Current Projects and Goals
- Support the opening of the Boston Connection Center
- Conduct outreach to opportunity youth throughout Boston to bring them to the Connection Center
- Advise members of the OYC about ways to increase youth voice in their organization
- Conduct research on opportunity youth to better understand their experiences and how to serve them
- Infuse youth voice into OYC decision-making
In 2013 and 2014, the Peer Leaders conducted focus groups and surveys of opportunity youth, gathering valuable information on who they were and what they felt was important. Final report | final presentation
In addition, the Peer Leaders worked with the OYC to create a set of guidelines for successful youth engagement. The Peer Leaders turned their recommendations into the Integration Ladder.